Saturday, March 22, 2014

"Canyon Prayer"


I no longer buy many popular or country albums -- my CD collection already occupies a disproportionate space in Palazzo Darby, and with other expenses clamoring for my attention, my rare acquisitions these days are mostly of music that promises more mileage (e.g., classical, jazz, world). Still, I'm lucky enough to have access to several separate library systems, which is a major benefit of living in northern Virginia. And I do keep an eye out for interesting-looking CDs in all genres to check out (in two senses). 

Recently I borrowed Honeysuckle Sweet, by Jessi Alexander. It's not particularly new, released in 2005, but new to me. I promise you the attractive woman shown in her publicity photo on the cover had nothing to do with my selection. Well, maybe a little.

Jessi has what sounds like a well-trained voice; unfortunately, it is much like that of hundreds of other country singers. Not distinctive like Lucinda Williams (rapidly sinking after Car Wheels on a Gravel Road), Martina McBride, or k.d. lang.

Jessi wrote or co-wrote all the songs. Some are decent enough but not special. The arrangements are smoothly professional, right out of the Nashville playbook. As I listened to one track after another, my reaction was "okay, she's promising but needs to develop a sensibility and musical style of her own."

So I can hardly recommend Honeysuckle Sweet unreservedly. Why am I writing about it at all? Because when I got to the very last track, "Canyon Prayer," I was knocked sideways. It is of a different order than any of the other songs. Not only is it a beautiful tune, but the lyrics (co-credited to her producer, Gary Nicholson) are poetic and far more spiritually mature than often heard from someone of her young age, or any age. (She says she originally wrote it years before the album, when she was sitting at the rim of the Grand Canyon.)

I will take the liberty of quoting a slightly abridged version:


Time after time, I've turned away from you,
When all I had to do was surrender to your love.
You've seen me stumble, you've watched me fall,
And though I heard you call, I just wasn't strong enough.
But there's an emptiness inside without you in my life:
Lord, I hope you hear my prayer tonight.


Won't you blind my eyes when all I see is temptation.
Break my stride when I'm runnin' from the truth.
An' tie my hands when I reach out with desire.
Go on an' do what you must do,
Whatever you must take me through till I turn to you. ...


I know that others fall down on their knees for mercy,
But you may have to hurt me before I see the light.
'Cause I've grown as far as I can go by myself:
I need your help if I'm gonna get it right.
Tired of strugglin' every day,
I wanna know the way,
So now the only prayer I wanna pray:

Is just blind my eyes when all I see is temptation.
Break my stride when I'm runnin' from the truth.
An' tie my hands when I reach out with desire.
Go on an' do what you must do,
Whatever you must put me through till I turn to you. ...

Blind my eyes;
Break my stride;
Whatever you want to be denied;
Whatever you must do.
An' tie my hands;
Ignore my demands;
Build a wall that stands so high, I can't get through Until I turn to you.

Sometimes I think inspiration still delivers its rays, that there is a minute hope for popular culture and for the world.


1 comment:

Stogie said...

I will look for this tune on iTunes and buy a copy.