Thursday, September 07, 2006

The doctor won't see you now

PH2006090500549
A model shows off the new AllahMode™
line of hospital couture

Taking a fashion cue from Saudi Arabia, hospitals in northern England will issue gowns such as this to Muslim women patients, AP reports. The burqa-style attire will protect the patients from prying male eyes, such as their doctor's.

The hospitals are run by the Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, which presumably means they are part of the National Health Service, funded by British taxpayers. It isn't clear from the story who will pay the extra cost for the "full service" gowns.
"I noticed a gap in the market and thought that it would be great if there was a gown that helped to preserve a patient's modesty," said Karen Jacob, linen services manager for the trust, who designed the product.
Hospitals in the United States, and I suspect those in Britain as well, do not seem unduly concerned about preserving the modesty, or at least dignity, of those of us who are not members of the Religion of Peace. Personally, I do not think I look at all my best in one of those l0w-fashion sack-like creations I have been issued on my thankfully infrequent hospital stays.

Meaning no disrespect, the woman in the photo above has quite ravishing eyes. Don't I know her from somewhere? Does she come there often? What's her sign?

No comments: